Monday, October 17, 2016

DIY Fireplace Redo



We decided to make some cheap changes to our fireplace.  We bought this home a year ago, it was a foreclosure. The photo with the green carpet was the photo I took the first time we walked through this home.  I knew the moment I stepped my foot in this home that it had to be mine.





We started with the green mantel.  We made the mistake of buying paint+primer combined in one can and did not actually prime over the green paint.  Well, once the white paint dried it peeled right off. The gentleman at the paint store told me this happened because we were painting over glossy paint and there was not anything for the paint to adhere to.  So we went over the white paint with a coat of primer and about 2 coats of white semi-gloss Behr paint.





The brick...I attempted to white wash the brick.  I call it a Pinterest Fail!  I was completely uncomfortable with the way it turned out.  I have recently read a little more about white washing and learned that I might have needed another coat of paint or two.  But, I ended up going to the store and buying gray exterior paint and painted the brick gray.  I LOVE it and I am so glad I decided to do that.



After painting the brick, I left the blue tape on the glass for an entire year and I procrastinated on painting the brass and the bottom vent black.  I have no idea why I took so long to paint it.  It only took me about 10 minutes to paint it and it looks 100 times better!  I used Rustoleum high heat black paint to paint the brass and freshen up the black vent.  I'm so happy I painted!  It looks so refreshed and our formal living room is starting to feel more comfortable and like home.




In total, I probably paid about $20 for this upgrade and that was mainly paint and I used about 2 hours of my time.  If you are hesitant about painting your fireplace and mantel, just do it!  It's only paint and can be changed later if needed.

I also have made some changes to our other fireplace...post to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment